Monday, January 25, 2010

Our Christmas Miracle

On Christmas eve morning our worlds stopped.. Lisa Marie, our beautiful mother, wife, and loving, selfless friend was in a horrible car accident. She was running some errands in washington preparing for our family gathering and was tboned. She was driving a little mazda 3 and was hit by a yukon.. When I got the call I was just getting ready to leave work at the mall and I noticed that I'd missed like 10 calls from my family and as soon as I saw that I knew something was wrong.. I called Amie back and she could hardly speak, she told me that Mom was in a car accident and they didn't know if she was going to make it.. that was seriously the worst moment of my life. I called Kavin, he had already heard and was on his way. I sat in the mall surrounded by crowds of people praying that my wonderful mom would be alright.. Shortly after we got on the freeway Amie called and said that the Bishop, Dad, and Tav gave her a blessing and when the Bishop was done he said "They're going to take her up north, she has a long road of recovery but she is going to be okay." At that point I felt through the spirit that she was going to be okay.. Shortly after that blessing the doctors decided to life flight her to the Intermountain Medical Center in Murray.. So instead of driving to St George we drove to the hospital and waited.. and the rest of the family followed.. When my mom and dad arrived, I went back in the ER with my dad.. Mom was surrounded by doctors and nurses that were working on her. It was so painul to see her laying there lifeless.. If anyone knows her you know how full of life she is.. she always has a smile on her face and is ready to love anyone she meets.. We sat in the hall and just prayed.. The power of prayer is amazing.. We both knew that she was going to pull through we were just worried about what was to come for our fragile Lisa.. In St George they told us that she had broken her shoulder, ribs, pelvis, femur, and sacrum and possibly had serious head trauma. When she arrived in Murray she was still in bad condition.. but she didnt have a broken shoulder or femur and there was a little bleeding on her brain, 2 broken ribs and a collapsed lung.. I know that through the power of the blessing she had that she lived.. when an ER nurse from our ward saw her when she was brought in she hurried and called the bishop and said you better hurry here cause shes not going to make it.. Miracles happen through the priesthood and I'm grateful that the lord has blessed our family to be able to keep her. I now truly know how fragile life is.. In an instant your whole world can be turned upside down.. and in those moments you realize that all the stuff that you worry about or get stressed over, little petty things really in the end don't matter. What matters is family and love. "all you need is love!" the first night we were in the ICU, none of my siblings had made it to the hospital yet so I was ableto sit with my dad by my beautiful mothers bedside for a while. She was on a ventilator and wasn't concious but we still talked to her.. telling her that we loved her and that she's strong and to please hold on.. One time I whispered mama lisa I Love You, I love you so much and it was the so comforting because her eyebrow went up and I knew that she heard me it was such a precious moment.. My dad was so amazing and continues to be.. The whole two weeks in the hospital he stayed by her side.. Looking at him it was as if he felt her pain.. I have never seen a couple more in love then my parents, they are always kissing, hugging, and flirting.. Its like they just started dating.. so bradley my wonderful dad stayed by her side the whole time always there to hold her hand when she was in pain and always trying to help her in any way. Early Christmas morning Dad, Amie, Tav, Kav and I all knelt in a circle in the waiting room and each took a turn to pray.. In that circle I felt so much love and I knew in that moment everything really does happen for a reason. Life is Amazing and I am so grateful that there is still a light in my mamas eyes! She is the sweetest thing ever.. She ended being in the ICU for 4 days and in the hospital for a total of 2 weeks.. She is now at home on her road to recovery.. Her pelvis was fractured in 4 places, and her sacrum and ribs were broken at well so it is going to take a long time for her to get back on her feet.. One day she said to me "I don't want to survive, I want to thrive.." I want to follow her example and live with an open heart and love others and do my best everyday to make this world a better place. I also wanted to say how amazing all of our friends and family have been and even complete strangers they've been so thoughtful, loving, and supportive it really just lifted our spirits and also cheered mama lisa up to see how many people love and care for her.. people have just been so loving and our family is so grateful for the prayers that have been said, we have truly felt them. I am so blessed to have the most amazing mother she is the best friend and truly cares for others.. I miss her dearly.. It was so nice to be living here in Ogden for once cause we were able to see her everyday for the two weeks she was in the hospital I will cherish those memories forever. I hope that I can learn to not take life forgranted and live my life so that when it does come to an end I can be able to live with my family forever.. I love you Lisa Marie!

5 comments:

Jessica Madsen said...

Al, that was so touching. I read it out loud to Justin and cried the whole time. I LOVE aunt Lisa! I LOVE your whole family. I have always known, and seen how incredibly close and loving your family is to one another, and it was no different during this traumatic experience. You are all so amazing, supportive, and strong. Thank you for the Update on Lisa too. I have been worried, and dying to know how she is doing. Please give her our love. And keeping sparkling! You are truly an angel.

Skyler and Bailey said...

I was so glad to read this post. I admire your family so much for the love you all have for each other and for how strong you all are, especially your mom. Your mom is amazing and the post was so touching, I couldnt keep my eyes dry. I work with a lot of people from St. James so I passed around a printed copy of the post and everyone was so glad to hear she is hanging in there and touched by your post. Thank you for sharing. Let me know if your family ever needs anything. You are all in our prayers!

Logan and Danielle said...

I had no idea about your mom! That is so scary. I'm glad she is doing better now. Your family is so strong and amazing! We will keep her in our prayers!

Tav and Aims said...

My sweet Angel, I can not began to tell you, how much your awesome comments mean to me. All I can say is what you wrote helps me heal. I just started to cry to read your blog. It is true, I have such a amazing family! Truly I feel so blessed to live, so I can be with my family. And everyone else has been a real blessing, not only for my sake,but our whole family. Really to have such loving and caring people around. Caring people makes me happy and inspired. My little Angel yes you inspire me! Love you Momma Lisa

Brittney and Zach Lundgreen said...

thats so sad so glad she is okay... what a christmas miracle!